Sunday, November 4, 2007

Day 12 - Under siege

(posted by Stinkographer 2)

The ants are invading!!!

As I progressed toward our hiding location on this fine autumn day, a gentle breeze carried a familiar, reassuringly vile scent up my nostrils. I was at peace, knowing that the meat had remained unfettered by last night's raging torrent. Furthermore, as the plate is near a path frequented by students, I recognized with great satisfaction that a multitude of passersby would now have the privilege of basking in the glory that is Stinkymeat. Unlike myself, however, the meat was not at peace. On the contrary, it was under attack.

When I reached the plate, I immediately noticed that the ground beef looked even blacker than usual. It also appeared to be moving. Closer inspection (which entailed bringing my eyes a few inches from the plate and trying not to breathe) revealed that the meat was dotted with hundreds of tiny ants. I think a few of them waved at me. They're a bit difficult to spot in these pictures, but trust me, they're everywhere!

The ground beef is losing ground. Compare this photo to those taken a couple days ago. The ants have clearly done significant damage to the beef's right perimeter. However, they seem unable to penetrate the hardened shell of the Cornish game hen, and they have thus far chosen to completely ignore the cat food. Not that I can blame them for the latter action.

Apart from the ants' siege on the ground beef, the other elements of the plate have not changed significantly as of late. The pork has acquired a leathery appearance. The cat food, though mostly submerged in stinkjuice, is showing little evidence of degradation. The bacon, too, has passed the test of time surprisingly well. The game hen is getting leaner but is otherwise maintaining strong control over a third of the plate. The giblet sack appears to have lost momentum and is currently collapsed on top of the upper pork slab.

The idea that the giblet sack naturally opened itself and released its odor in our absence saddens me, but this may not be the case. Remember that for nine days the meat had been incubating at a steady 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Just like a balloon that is brought out in the cold, the recent change in temperature may have caused the air inside the giblet sack to condense. Never give up hope, ladies and gentlemen.

Continue to Day 13

2 comments:

Melly Mel said...

Viva le stinkytmeat!

I want maggots! I wonder if the cold is inhibiting their implantation?

Anonymous said...

I think you guys really screwed this all up by taking the meat out of the original location and putting it outside. The intent was to fuck with people, and just as things seemed to be getting interesting you 1) wussed out and moved the meat and 2) posted a link to this website. Both were grave mistakes, as another couple of days would have yielded spectacular results. In any case, you are young grasshoppers at this point, so I can understand to some degree how you could have screwed the pooch on this one...though when I was in college I fully appreciated seeing these types of endeavors through to completion.

 
Unique visitors: